Friday, May 6, 2016

Alumni Update - Lauren Reed, MSW, MPH (Dec '15)

Lauren Reed, MSW, MPH (Dec '15) recently accepted a position with the Northeast Health District as the Early Hearing Detection and Intervention (EHDI) District Coordinator

Lauren Reed (middle) with co-workers at a community outreach and education event

Ms. Reed explains, "Due to hearing loss being one of the more common birth defects, all babies have their hearing screened at birth before leaving the hospital. If a baby fails to pass their initial screen, misses their initial screen (due to emergency transfer or equipment not working), or has risk factors for hearing loss, then the hospitals sends a referral to me. From there, I contact the families to let them know the importance of having their child's hearing re-screened and educate them on the type of tests they need, and what providers in the area offer those services.


The program allows me to follow a child from birth to 5 years old. Typically I begin working with a family following their initial screen up until diagnosis where I refer them to the appropriate early intervention. Early diagnosis for children who experience hearing loss is so valuable in order for children to meet their developmental milestones. If children are not screened early on then they may not receive a diagnosis until they are in school.


This program is able to be successful through collaborations between pediatricians, hospitals, families, and the Georgia Department of Public Health. I am able to provide case management and support to families during this sometimes overwhelming process, while also capturing data in the state surveillance system to ensure that early detection and intervention is taking place in my district."


Ms. Reed continues, "When I began looking for a job I was concerned that I would have to choose between using my public health or social work skill sets, but I have been pleased to find that this position provides an opportunity to integrate both. I work very closely with the Children's First program and will also be teaching some health education classes on car seat safety. I recently became a Certified Child Passenger Safety Technician (CPST), which I will use to educate individuals in our community on how to install their car seat to best protect their child(ren)."


"Additionally I have continued to do some contract work around health education and individual therapy. I hope to continue to be able to apply my skills in a variety of ways to help promote a healthy community."


Congratulations on your new position, Ms. Reed!


Visit Ms. Reed's LinkedIn Profile.

No comments:

Post a Comment