Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Meet Our Student - Samantha Elliott (Dec '17)



Samantha Elliott (Dec '17)
My name is Samantha Elliott, but friends usually call me “Sam” (or really good friends somehow eventually fall into calling me “Sammy.”) It’s nice to finally be able to say that I will, Lord willing, graduate next year, December 2017.  Lest things change, I will graduate with a Community focused Master of Social Work, and a Master of Public Health with a concentration in Health Promotion and Behavior. I’m also currently seeking out the possibility of fitting a Global Health Certificate in there while I’m at it. What’s one more thing, right?

Even though originally from Wilmington, North Carolina, I enjoyed my time at the University of Georgia achieving an undergraduate degree in Spanish and minor in Public Health in 2013 so much that I couldn’t think to do my graduate studies anywhere else. While most of my time has been spent residing in the South, I’m privileged to have travelled more than usual in my studies and personal life. This influences my desire to work with a culturally diverse population one day, possibly through the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, or other government organizations. Another avenue of interest I am looking into is the healthcare setting. In the meantime, I am on staff at a local church here in the Classic City, Grace Athens. As Discipleship Director I mainly cluster groups of college students together to be mentored by an Athens adult in our family of believers. With all the extra time left after school and work I enjoy being active outdoors. Couple that with good company of friends or family and I couldn’t ask for much more.

I look forward to seeing how the benefits of the complementary MSW/MPH Dual Degree continue to unfold as I begin internships and come across future employment options. I believe the skill sets acquired from the different, yet similar programs will surely set me up for a wide variety of work and career settings.

Visit my LinkedIn profile.

No comments:

Post a Comment