Friday, April 3, 2015

Alumni Update - Mumbi Mwaura, MSW, MPH

Mumbi Mwaura, MSW, MPH recently joined Project Family, LLC as a contracted clinician.

Project Family is a community health care organization serving children, adolescents, and adults with mental health concerns and substance abuse issues in Georgia.  They provide clinical, family preservation, and wrap-around services, and their team includes psychiatrists, nurses, licensed clinicians, and experienced case managers that collaborate to provide integrative care.  Services are provided in-clinic as well as in-home and in the community.  As a contracted clinician, Ms. Mwaura will provide evidence-based counseling services to children and adolescents with a mental health diagnosis. 

Ms. Mwaura graduated from the University of Georgia in December 2014 with a Master of Social Work - Clinical Concentration, and a Master of Public Health in Health Promotion and Behavior.

When asked if her dual degree training helped her in obtaining this position, Ms. Mwaura noted, "I believe the dual degree helped TREMENDOUSLY.  As soon as I walked into the interview room the interviewer (my now supervisor) could not stop the compliments and was genuinely impressed by what the dual degree could offer to the organization. My public health classes in public policy and healthcare management are helping me understand how the organization runs (including Medicaid, private insurance), and I think I've started realizing the importance of increasing mental health as a real public health issue.  As a result of the job, I'm starting to get interested in mental health concerns in our country.  I'm truly surprised at how my interests have been shaped and continue to change as a result of being in the 'real world.'"

Congratulations Mumbi!

To learn more about Ms. Mwaura, visit her LinkedIn profile.

No comments:

Post a Comment